Biking across one nation to help feed students of another nation...$1.50 feeds one student in Kenya for one month.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 29

Mark's first day back to riding was a really good one. He went almost 80 miles!! I asked him to dictate a message for me (he's not a big blogger) and here's what he said: "it felt good to be on the bike again. The wind was blowing pretty strong. No problems. I like having a support vehicle, it's the way to go.Wisconsin is a pretty state to ride in." There ya have it folks. He's a man of few sentences, but he says them in all sincerity.:)
For my part, I'm really enjoying being the support vehicle...in fact, I think I've found my calling. I write down the directions for Mark, refill his water bottles and bring him food. I also drive past him with my windows down and either cheer him on or make harassing comments. That's the fun of it...he never knows which person I'm gonna be.:) The roads that we were on today were gorgeous. It's almost like being back in Washington again. Everything is really green and fertile and there's definitely no lack of trees. Lakes and rivers await us at every turn and the road terrain is very hilly and winding. That keeps things a lot more interesting and enjoyable.
We're camping tonight in Birchwood, WI and are set up right next to a lake. If anyone on Campbellsville is reading this, this area looks shockingly similar to Green River Lake.
So, definitely a successful first day. Oh yeah, and for anyone wondering how I've spent my free time, my current reading is: "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis.

3 comments:

  1. Hi fellow bikers, great to see you back. You will enjoy the ride now even more with a sag since you don't have to carry all the gear. And when it rains ..... no problem. We are jealous,but then,we haven't had any since Sleeping Buffalo.
    Stay healthy and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part of following Christ is pulling up the sail of faith, and seeing where the Spirit of God will take you too. You two have hit a rough spot. You have rested, gotten advice and hoisted your sail again. The Holy Spirit then breezes by and takes you once again to things you have not seen, and experiences you will need for the rest of life. Keep dreaming dreams, keep peddling miles, keep breathing in fresh winds for these are the things coming from your Father in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Mark - 80 miles - wow! What an awesome plan you have for now - read on Sarah - take care of your wonderful husband. Look to see how God continues to lead, for He certainly is leading.

    By chance, have you 2 been praying that I would ride a bike again? Sometime midweek during the hustle and bustle of VBS and school, I had a strong urge to ride a bike, no fear this time, and a very strong desire to do it. I knew this was from God, because my mind had been made up since my fall trying to get off the bike a few months ago. I think this was either Wednesday or Thursday. I was going to tell your dad, but so much was going on, I forgot to tell him. Then he mentioned that he was going to ride his bike on Saturday, and I told him I wanted to ride also. I think he may have been in shock. So this morning, he put on a comfy seat, aired up my tires, very patiently told me how to use the break and gears, and I rode in circles on the driveway. Then I rode up and down Suwanee Dr. 2 times (1.6 miles) with no muscles hurting (I think the walking/jogging helped prepare me for this day). However, breathing was pretty hard, but not impossible. When I finished, I was sweating all over and felt like I'd had an hour workout, but had only been on the bike for about 15 minutes or less. Isn't God amazing how He can change our minds for our good and for His glory! "Thank you Jesus. I know that for some who may read this, what has happened may not seem like much, but it means a great deal to me. Now I can enjoy biking with my husband and maybe in the future with my children. An unreasonable fear in my life has been removed. Thank you for removing the fear in my mind that had paralyzed me. Sarah was correct when she said that she believed that this fear had come from the enemy. Forgive me for listening to him and believing his lie. I believe that VBS this week somehow played a part in the changing of my mind on riding a bike. You've shown me that I can do things that humanly I think are impossible. But I know that nothing is impossible with you. Please help others with fears they may have that keep them from enjoying the abundant life you died for them to experience. I praise your Name, the Name above all other names - Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Savior of the World, and the Prince of Peace. Amen."
    VBS theme verse: "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all men generously and without reproaching, and it will be given him." (James 1:5)

    ReplyDelete