Biking across one nation to help feed students of another nation...$1.50 feeds one student in Kenya for one month.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 45

We're very much enjoying the parts of New York that we're traveling through. We aren't big city people, so we're loving these small, historic New England towns. I've never seen so many colonial style homes and beautiful churches. Mark got to bike today along parts of Lake Ontario (I think we've now gotten to see pieces of all of the Great Lakes). The roads took him through lots of apple and peach orchards.
We did have another little hiccup today though. Mark made it 41 miles and as he was ascending a small hill, his rear dérailleur snapped!! I picked him up and we basically had to drive back to where we began the day because that was the closest location with a bike shop. While we were driving, I felt an awful sting on my upper back and then another on my lower back. Yep, a queen bee got me. She was stuck in my t-shirt. We almost ran off the road for trying to kill her! But, I now officially know that I'm not allergic to bee stings and that's always helpful information. :)
Thankfully, the only thing that needed to be replaced on the bike was the hanger and his chain (we had a spare chain with us).
We're camping tonight in a town called Fulton and back on the road again tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Remember to pull over whenever you get a bee in your car. Hope there's no more spider bites or bee stings in your future. Keep plugging away you're almost there. Aunt Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, Aunt Bev.

    Remember: "Little children, you are of God, and have overcome them; for He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." (I John 4:4)

    "Thank you, heavenly Father for your watchcare over the lives of Mark & Sarah. Continue to guide their every move and hold them in the palm of your Hand. Be their shield and protection. May you continually be honored and praised and glorified. In Jesus' Name. Amen."

    ReplyDelete