Biking across one nation to help feed students of another nation...$1.50 feeds one student in Kenya for one month.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 11

Funny story... So, last night, as I wrote, we found a nice little city park to camp in. I'm not sure if we just didn't notice this or were too tired to care, but it turns out that we set our tent up less than 50 feet from the railroad tracks. An hour after we'd fallen asleep, we were both BLASTED awake by a train that had to be moving at 70 mph. Between the vibrations on the ground and the horrendously loud train whistle, accompanied of course by the "chugachugachuga", we both thought our numbers were up and we were literally going to be taken into Heaven by the glory train!! As we both shot straight up out of our sleeping bags, I momentarily thought that someone had dragged our tent right onto the tracks. Well, it also turns out that a train comes through almost every two hours throughout the night. That was an interesting sleep.  Anyway...
Days like this one are why I signed on for this adventure. It was just a perfect day for riding! The temperature never rose above 65 degrees, we had a gentle tailwind that helped to nudge us along, and the scenery was, once again, gorgeous.
We made it through the rest of Idaho and crossed the Montana border around 1 pm. We've also changed timezones now and are currently on "mountain people" time.
Our bodies are still aching, so we would appreciate your prayers for our recovery on a daily and nightly basis, or just whenever we may come to mind.
I had my first flat today. We were 13 miles from our destination when I felt the rim touch the pavement. Thankfully, we're pros at changing tires by now, so it didn't damage our spirits. I think we'll join the one of the NASCAR teams when all of this is over and we'll work in the pit as tire changers.
All is well with us. The Lord is near, creation is beautiful, and we're trying our best to enjoy every blessing that is coming from this once in a lifetime trip! Thanks to everyone for being so incredibly supportive. It really does make the riding easier! We're sleeping tonight in a campground in Libby, Montana.

2 comments:

  1. I just ran across a poem by Henry W. Frost and thought of you 2 when I read it.
    "A mountain immovable, a swiftly
    encroaching sea,
    Disparate forces of life intent on
    assailing me.
    But, like the oak or ash tossed in
    egregious storm
    Still standing arms up-stretched as if
    to praise the One
    Who controls both gale and sunbeam
    And gives strength to continue on.
    There is a life deep hid in God
    Where all is calm and still,
    Where, listening to His holy Word,
    One learns to trust, until
    all anxious care is put away
    And there is peace, profound, always'
    Grant us Thy peace, O God!"
    Sunday evening (Day 9 through Monday (Day 10)until about an hour before you called, I had to fight anxious thoughts of wondering where you were and how you were doing. I fought them through God's Word, through talking with Him, through praising Him, through going for a walk, & through praying with your dad. While I was walking, I saw 2 deer frollicking and having a glorious time in the beauty of the evening. I immeditely thought of the 2 of you enjoying this trip together in spite of difficulities along the way. As I walked closer to home, I saw them again and nearby in our front yard was a larger deer, I presume their mom or dad and was reminded that no matter where you 2 are that God is there with you watching out for you, just as the parent deer was watching out for the 2 young ones. I then read a devotion called "Courage", and God gave me His peace once again. As soon as I finished reading "Courage", your dad brought the phone to me and it was your sweet voice.
    God is still teaching me to stand with arms up-stretched and praise Him, to hide myself in Him, to listen to His holy Word, to trust Him and put all anxious care away, as in Henry Frost's poem. As you continue on this journey, God will use it to grow my faith in Him, and for that I'm so thankful. I love you both and am very proud of what you are doing. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are an inspiration! Thank you for taking time to post your experiences. God bless you!!!!

    ReplyDelete