Biking across one nation to help feed students of another nation...$1.50 feeds one student in Kenya for one month.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 27 & 28

We finally made it into North Dakota today and it was a beautiful thing.
So, about the plans we've been making...it's kind of a long story, but I'll tell it anyway.
For those of you that have been following our blog, you know about the trouble I've had with my knees for the last few weeks. This last week, we decreased our mileage, took extra rest days and ibuprofen in hopes of curing the problem. As we rested yesterday, we devised a plan to hop on the Amtrak and get enough ahead in our mileage that we could take our average daily riding from 70 to 50 miles for the remainder of the trip. 
However, when we began riding this morning my knees were in complete agony after only 3 miles. The road was flat, there was no wind and I was having trouble just trying to maintain 7 mph. When we took our first break it was clear that decreasing our mileage wasn't going to solve the problem. With heavy hearts, we reluctantly made the decision to end our trip early and go home to let my knees recover.
I cried for the next 10 miles (partly from pain) grieving the loss of this dream. For the rest of the ride I begged the Lord to redeem the situation. We purchased our train tickets and arranged for some really dear friends to pick us up in Winona, MN and we even called my parents to let them know that we weren't going to be able to finish the trip. Definitely a heartbreaking day.
***************
Day 28
We couldn't sleep last night as thoughts of having to give up plagued our minds. We ate breakfast and as I was in the middle of writing a blog to let everyone know of our regrettable decision, Mark looked at me and said, "I don't think we're making the right choice. I don't feel peace in my heart about it." One thing that both of us have learned over the last few years is that Jesus is the Prince of Peace and if we don't feel His peace in regards to one of our decisions, He most likely has something way better in mind.
My wise husband informed me of his idea and here it is: We'll still take our train to Rochester so that we can get my knees checked out. Then, we're going to drop off my bike and pick up our car. For the rest of the trip I will be Mark's "sagwagon" or support vehicle while he continues our ride. I'll carry his gear and set up our campsites and meet him at 15 mile checkpoints to see if he needs anything. Then, if in a few days or week, my knees have recovered, we will take turns driving and riding Mark's bike (good thing we're similar in height).
This isn't what we originally wanted or had planned, but it's important to us that we stay committed and finish what we started. After a year of planning, preparing and training, we feel that this is a better option than just quitting and giving up the whole dream. 
We hope that we haven't let anyone down or disappointed you. This isn't quite as adventurous or extreme as the original plan, but we feel like it's the wisest option available to us. And trust me, no one is as disappointed as I am that I can't finish the trip as planned.
So, we'll arrive in Rochester tomorrow (Saturday) morning and will make the necessary adjustments and get my knees checked out. Then we'll get back on the road Monday or Tuesday to continue along our journey.
After a stressful week of not knowing how to proceed, we finally feel peace and joy and the Lord's blessing. We're excited that having a car will allow us more opportunity to be flexible and possibly even enjoy some of the more touristy things along the way. We'll most likely finish a little earlier than planned as well.
I'll keep the blog updated once we begin again and will even be able to post some pictures from here on out.
Thanks again for your support. We ask again for your continued prayers as we will still possibly encounter our fair share of difficulties along the way.

10 comments:

  1. Have you guys thought about just taking a train to the nearest city to get a bike fitting or even see a doctor? It could be something totally minor like just the position of your saddle or something. The wrong saddle position can totally cause knee pain, especially when carrying an extra load. An adjustment plus some continued ibuprofen and icing at night for the next few days and you could be good to go. Don't give up! Come on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we already tried the bike fitting and it didn't help. Will be visiting the doctor in Rochester. We're not giving up--just adjusting the plans a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that the topmost post was not the most recent one and that you revised your plan so yay!! Goooo Mark and gooooo Sarah SAG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mark and Sarah,
    I am sooo glad that Sarah will be getting some help soon! I am excited that you will be in town after following you from afar for about a month. What a super plan Mark had! Praise God for His leading. I will be praying for a good outcome this weekend. Hope to run into you! :-D

    Love,
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark and Sarah,
    I will find the verse for you in the Bible, but here goes from memory. God rewards faith. If you are wondering how Mark has these answers, it is because he is in tune with the Father. The Father speaks in the frequency that is tuned to the heart. God new the disappointment that you two were feeling, he waits until we tune in our heart frequency to Him, then He speaks definitively. The plan is simple, don't give up, don't despair for I the Great I Am have come near to you. You will receive from Him today, today's plans. Guess what tomorrow you will receive tomorrow's. Not too early, not too late, just on time. Lift up your heads little ones, for your redemption draws nigh. Love You, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, your body is a gift from God, and He does not want you to disrespect it. The plan you've come up with makes a lot of sense, allows you to complete the "dream", albeit in a different way, and provides lessons in humility and creativity. A great adage that has helped me often is "There are always two or more alternatives" in solving almost any problem. Be gentle with yourselves. Warm Regards, Linda Hall Keller

    ReplyDelete
  7. mark i missed you by three days!!!!!!!!! we were at glacier and cutbank and went to that mcdonalds!!!!!!!!!!

    b-y unit

    ReplyDelete
  8. and i hope sarahs knees feel better

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do not be disappointed at all. Your new plan still allows you finish your journey and that's what matters in the end. You're still going to be able to finish what you set out to do. I know that God is with you both and he will be with you always. I sent your blog to a lady I worked with that is from Kenya and she's sending it to her people so they know what you're doing too. I think it is so awesome what the two of you are doing. I think about you every day and pray for you every night. Love you both. Aunt Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I've just read this blog including the comments, my eyes were flooded with tears, tears from a momma's heart not wanting her children to experience pain, tears for my daughter's wise husband, tears for my daughter listening to her husband's wisdom that comes from God, and tears thanking the Prince of Peace for His Presence, His Plan, and His Hand in all of this. He has a much bigger plan than any of us could even imagine, and that is beginning to become even clearer. Glorify the Heavenly Father and praise His glorious Name through Jesus Christ, His Son, and the Savior of the world.

    Thank you, Linda (I don't know you, but hope to meet you sometime) for your kind words to my children. Thank you, Bev, my adorable little sister for your words of wisdom and love that come from our Heavenly Father and for passing on this blog to your friend at work. You are an integral part in God's plan in this bike tour. That is very evident. Thank you for praying your precious prayers for our family. One of these days in heaven, God will show you how your prayers made a difference. I love you, little Sis and am so glad that we will spend eternity together.

    "Blessed is the man who endures trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life which God has promised to those who love Him." (James 1:12)

    My tears are dried up now, so I'll go get my classroom ready for the year. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete