Biking across one nation to help feed students of another nation...$1.50 feeds one student in Kenya for one month.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 5

Whew!! We went over our second Cascade mountain today, the Loop Loop Pass. It's elevation reached 4,020 feet, so it wasn't quite as hectic as yesterday, though it was still pretty dang steep. Once again we did a lot of walking our bikes. We figure that whether we're moving at a speed of 2.5 mph or 35 mph, we're always progressing. Each step is another step closer. Plus, with 220 miles already ridden and no rest day, our legs are pretty cashed right about now! We just have to make it through tomorrow's climb and then day 7 will be a complete day of rest.
The heat certainly cranked up a few notches today. We're probably drinking more water than anyone else in the state of Washington. Just yesterday we were freezing in the 40 degree climate, but today reached a high of 100!!!
For those of you following us on the map (Dad), we're camping tonight in the small town of Omak. It's located just off of Hwy 20.
Mark's tire is still going strong, but we did stop at a bike shop in Winthrop today to pick up some extra tubes...just in case.
Well, we're thinking of everyone back home now. Hope that all is well with the RTC and all of our friends and family in KY and SA! We haven't had much cell service for the last few days, so we haven't been able to keep in touch very well.
Goodnight everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a GPS phone? Part of that google connect or whatever it is where you can monitor a friends gps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice to hear your voices on Friday afternoon. It was amazing that I even heard my phone ring. My purse was in one room and I was feeding volunteers on the OTBA Baptist Builders trip in Princeton, Ky. when you called. I think God may have increased either the volume on my phone or the sensitivity of my ears to be able to hear it ring. He knew that we wanted to talk and hear each others' voices. Your dad was thrilled to hear you as well.

    I just came across a verse that I had marked in my Bible that I had prayed for Chew on
    April 5,2010 at 9:24 a.m. I think I'll pray it now for you, Chew. You are an awesome young man of God, and my daughter is blessed to be your wife.

    "The Sovereign Lord has given to (Chew) an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He awakens (Chew) morning by morning, wakens (Chew's) ear to listen like one being taught." (Isaiah 50:4)

    May God continue to pour out His blessings, wisdom, and protection on you. I love you both. Mom

    ReplyDelete