Biking across one nation to help feed students of another nation...$1.50 feeds one student in Kenya for one month.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 8

We felt really good today. It's amazing what a good day of rest does for the body! And it's a good thing, because we had to climb the Sherman Pass, which is the highest pass in the state of Washington and reaches an elevation of 5,575 feet. We absolutely SCALED this mountain, praise Jesus!! We made it to the top in 3 and a half hours and we're proud to report that we walked our bikes minimally today. These legs must be getting stronger! One thing we have discovered while riding the Cascades is that there are many external components that greatly effect our ability to climb a mountain: i.e.- temperature, road surface, scarcity or abundance of shady patches, freshness of legs, etc. Today, all of the components worked in our favor. We have now successfully completed the Cascades...and on to Glacier.
Tonight, we are staying at a really cool bike hostel that is located just outside of Colville. It is owned by a really sweet family that used to be missionaries to Malawi. It's free of charge, we get a bed and a hot shower.  We're sittin' happy. It's refreshing to meet people like these that are just plain generous. The moment that we pulled in the driveway, they greeted us with juicy watermelon and showed us to our room. We're staying here with another bike tourer who is on the same route as us, but is headed in the opposite direction... So we've been giving each other tips on what to expect next along the way.
Well, it's about time to rest these weary legs and close these sleepy eyes for the evening. Night night.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of a bike hostel. How awesome it sounds! It's amazing to me how God is providing you with everything you need along the way. I'm not surprised, because that is what He does for His children, but am still amazed and in awe of His goodness and provisional care! May He bless these kind missionaries who gave you watermelon and provided you a place to stay.

    Remember when Jesus said, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." Then those who have received Jesus in their lives will say to Him that they don't remember ever doing those things for Him. But then He will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

    As people along the way like Denny and the missionaries reach out to you in your time of need, God will take note of their kindnesses and will welcome them into His eternal Kingdom that He has prepared since the creation of the world.

    Happy pedaling! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete